Been messing around a lot with the deformer tools. I like the repetition and pattern from this one. Some days I feel like the surrealist inside gets out more than anything else.
Finished editing this right after overclocking my work machine. This was actually quite a risk since if I made it unstable, I'd be unable to work. Got it to 4.1 Ghz and no crashes while rendering. Things are looking up. As a side note, I'm currently listening to Manchester Orchestra's "I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child" and remembering what an incredible and pivotal album it was for me. I saw them in 2006 before the album had officially come out with Saves the Day (A huge deal at the time) and they were just hashing out their material and playing with so much soul and passion. I met Andy Hull and had my picture taken, both of us awkward teenagers. He was 19 and I was 16 and he was the most important figure in the universe in my mind. It's so interesting that that album has maintained it's integrity through the years, while the Saves the Day stuff just seems petty and hollow. I still love those albums, but they don't hold up. Manchester does. That's a pretty cool thing I guess.
Same plug-in. I was thinking this looked like some kind of weird alien landscape so I threw it in the desert with...mixed results. I still have some work to do with this one.
I've been trying to find something to do with this new plug in I found and this was the first comp I did something with. I accidentally rendered it without a background, so I did it in Photoshop which had ok results. I do like the voxel like Minecraft look though.
So this all started with trying to make a honeycomb pattern in Cinema by a lot of wrong ways. As it turns out, you need to simply reduce a cylinder to 6 segments and BAM, hexagonal, parametric column. So then I needed to clone them, and arranged them as close to a pattern as possible, which was simple. The problem (and subsequent time-sink) began when I decided I really wanted to have them randomly different heights to make an interesting composition. That took quite a long time and a lot of trial and error. The answer ended up being changing the 'multiple objects' factor in the random effector to x-20 or x*2 or whatever to make it change all the columns individually, which it previously refused to do. So yeah, that was cool. I threw the daylight rig on there and it started to look like an abandoned alien city or something so I tossed my little starship model in there. I like it, but I want it to be dirtier.