Used some low-poly techniques on a metaball with...interesting results.
Just some weird satellites with a copper texture thrown on. Meh.
So this all started with trying to make a honeycomb pattern in Cinema by a lot of wrong ways. As it turns out, you need to simply reduce a cylinder to 6 segments and BAM, hexagonal, parametric column. So then I needed to clone them, and arranged them as close to a pattern as possible, which was simple. The problem (and subsequent time-sink) began when I decided I really wanted to have them randomly different heights to make an interesting composition. That took quite a long time and a lot of trial and error. The answer ended up being changing the 'multiple objects' factor in the random effector to x-20 or x*2 or whatever to make it change all the columns individually, which it previously refused to do. So yeah, that was cool. I threw the daylight rig on there and it started to look like an abandoned alien city or something so I tossed my little starship model in there. I like it, but I want it to be dirtier.
I've been working on using subsurface scattering and reflections to make things look like expensive little toys. The depth of field didn't work on this one unfortunately.
I've been reading a lot of Arthur C. Clarke lately and thinking about space dwellings. The idea of hollowing out an asteroid and people living inside it is something I can't stop thinking about.
Daily Thing #1 After much ado I've decided to attempt to post something I've made every day this year. There are so many designers suggesting this for people starting out that it makes me feel like it's something I should do. I want to get better and practice everyday is how you do that. Here's to 2013!